Nairobi, 15 Dec (D. Ravi Kanth) -- Trade ministers of China, India, South Africa, Ecuador, Venezuela, and members of the African Group on Tuesday (15 December) appear to have prepared the ground to throw the gauntlet to the United States and a handful of developed countries by calling for reaffirmation to continue the Doha Development Agenda (DDA) trade negotiations in the proposed Nairobi ministerial declaration.
Coming close on the heels of the US trade representative Michael Froman's belligerent statement for closure of the DDA negotiations at the Nairobi meeting, the trade ministers have decided to issue the strongest statement yet, several trade envoys told the SUNS.
Although Indonesia walked out of the initial group of countries that finalized the collective stand on the reaffirmation to continue the DDA negotiations, the joining of the African Group of countries with the five developing countries is a major victory, said an African trade minister who asked not to be quoted.
The statement reads:
With the purpose of strengthening the multilateral trading system and ensuring that development is at the centre of the ongoing negotiation, we the Ministers from Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, China, Cote d'Ivoire, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Ecuador, Egypt, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, India, Kenya, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Venezuela, Zambia and Zimbabwe believe it is imperative to make the following joint statement:
- We reaffirm the principles and objectives set out in the Marrakesh AgreementEstablishing the World Trade Organization.
- We recognise that the DDA is a significant multilateral attempt to respond totrade and development interests of developing Members and redress the imbalances codified in the rules resulting from the previous rounds of multilateral trade negotiations. We reaffirm the Declarations and Decisions we adopted at Doha, and all subsequent Declarations and Decisions and reaffirm our full commitment to give effect to them.
- We further welcome the advances made in the Doha Development Agenda(DDA). The Decisions and Declarations we propose to adopt at our present session would signify that we have taken yet another step forward in the negotiations and attest to our strong resolve to complete the DDA as has been reaffirmed in the Sustainable Development Goal 17.10.
- Further we recognize that a comprehensive conclusion of the DDA witheconomically meaningful and balanced outcomes will provide impetus to global trade liberalization and facilitation, correct the development deficit in the rules resulting from the previous rounds of multilateral trade negotiations and improve the trading prospects of developing Members, and enhance the primary role of the WTO in global trade governance.
- We need to redouble our efforts to enable us to proceed towards the full,successful and multilateral conclusion of the negotiations pursuant to paragraphs 45, 47 and 48 of the Doha Ministerial Declaration in fulfilment of the commitments we took at Doha.
Several trade envoys said the joining of Kenya in the group is also a significant development.
Earlier, the Ugandan Prime Minister and the Secretary-General of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) Dr Mukhisa Kituyi called for continuation of the DDA.
Our World Is Not For Sale (OWINFS) network
Latest from SEATINI Kenya
- Latest EGA Negotiations To Focus On Final List, Phase outs, 'Critical Mass'
- Some ICs plan "modern trade deals" at WTO Published in SUNS #8210 dated 30 March 2016
- 54th Session of the Commission for Social Development
- China, Japan Vie For Permanent Appellate Body Seat At WTO
- Nairobi Rules On Article 9.4 Subsidies, Export Credits May Be Enforceable
Comment Link Sunday, 04 March 2018 00:36
I'll handle your pets in their own dwelling.
Comment Link Friday, 23 February 2018 11:13
It's in fact very complex in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, so I
only use web for that reason, and obtain the hottest information.
Comment Link Friday, 23 February 2018 04:09
It is also designed to tow two autos at a time.
Comment Link Wednesday, 21 February 2018 16:30
Contact our yacht brokers for help.
Comment Link Saturday, 10 February 2018 07:00
Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was
super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and
say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything.
Do you have any suggestions for rookie blog writers?
I'd certainly appreciate it.
Comment Link Friday, 09 February 2018 12:54
Inquire if the tow truck has a contract with a police.
Comment Link Tuesday, 06 February 2018 14:11
National Actual Estate Area Services, Inc.
LoansComment Link Friday, 02 February 2018 22:31
payday advance fast cash advance payday advances payday advance
Payday ExpressComment Link Friday, 19 January 2018 01:13
best online loans instant approval best online loans instant approval best place to get a loan loan products
Comment Link Friday, 05 January 2018 05:24
Everyone loves it when individuals get together and share views.
Great blog, stick with it!